Welcome to our Vacation Blog!!

We hope you enjoy our posts before, during and after our trip. A trip to Hungary has been a dream for many years. The closer it came to becoming a reality, the more we thought that we should include other countries. (See our itinerary) But the main purpose of our trip is to meet my new-found relatives in Rabapatona, Hungary, which is about one hour west of Budapest. I will remind everyone a few days before we leave so that you can "come along"! (If this is your first time on our blog, begin at the bottom and continue to our most recent post at the top.)



Countdown!!

Friday, May 8, 2009

Hello From Milan, Italy!











We made it! Had a great trip...very uneventful flights, weather great. Arrived here 8 AM. All day we've looked at our watches and said, "Dang, they're still asleep at home". Strange! We were tired, especially Wayne. He didn't sleep much on the plane. I slept great, so I'm not as tired. We checked in at hotel, then walked around this area. Beautiful piazzas, tons of pigeons and couples that probably would be arrested for public display of affection at home! :0). The train station, Stazione Centrale, is actually beautiful. It is one of the oldest, if not THE oldest train station still used in Europe. We found a sidewalk cafe' and stopped to rest and have some "refreshments". The young waiters were a hoot! One is from Egypt, Hany (pronounced honey), and the other from Naples, Italy, Omar. They flirted with every girl that passed, and some of the girls didn't like it too much! (See picture of them with Wayne). We also met a couple from Australia that were very nice.



We learned our lesson first day in Europe, though. Wayne's mail pouch bag was stolen! These are some slick characters in Italy! He had taken it off while we were eating pizza at the sidewalk cafe' (you can see where we were sitting in one of the pics). It was on the ground next to his feet. A guy walked up on one side of our table and started asking us questions about the metro, and while he was jabbering and we were shrugging our shoulders and trying to make him understand that we didn't know what he was saying, his "partner", who the Aussies told us was bent down like he was working on the car at the curb by our table, must have grabbed the bag and was gone. We were very upset when we discovered it was gone because we thought Wayne's passport, driver's license, credit & ATM cards, and $500 US for emergencies was in it. Luckily, when we arrived at our hotel this morning, I took all of this and transferred it to his money belt!! So all they got was tylenol, chapstick, handwipes, a disposable rain poncho and some travel toilet paper!! :0) The only thing they got that was rather important were Wayne's prescription glasses for distance, so he may not be able to see some of the sights as well as he could with them. But we certainly consider ourselves lucky...it could have been much worse! Even though we had been warned numerous times about the "pocket pickers", as Brody calls them, we just aren't mentally ready for this type of theft. They were having a market in the piazza near the cafe', and we were able to buy another mail pouch bag for 5 euros so not too much harm done.



Our hotel is fine...clean and the A/C works, and they have free WiFi, so we're good for now. Highlights of Milan Tour tomorrow and get to see DaVinci's "The Last Supper", which we are very excited about! Got to get in bed! A little jet lag catching up with me. Wayne's already sacked out! More later.

Sorry, for some reason I'm not able to attach photos. I'll try again tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. This is going to be so much fun, to travel with you all - gosh, I am glad all they got was chapstick and toilet tissue - be careful and be happy you got an early warning about the antics of the Italians - how many hours were you in flight from US to Milan? Enjoy -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody - when Sarah Riley and I were posting to a blog on our trip to Yellowstone it was so enjoyable to read the comments - so leave your comments !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Momma and Daddy!! Hope ya'll slept well and are rested for a wonderful day. Oh my gosh...Da Vinci...enough said!! I know ya'll will see lots of awesome things today, but I want to know how you feel the moment you see The Last Supper. WOW!! Mom, was the entire book running through your mind? I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that ya'll are there yet. I wish I was there with you to experience it all. I have found myself looking at the time here and checking your itinerary lots of times, and you've only been gone one day! I really miss ya'll! Mom, I stopped calling you as much as I normally do a couple weeks before ya'll left so I wouldn't be so "homesick" for you...sorry! I just couldn't tell you that before you left. I'm fine...don't worry! However, call when you can!!! :) Brody lost his game tonight. Several interesting and heated moments!! Gotta love teenage umps. :( I am going to get him chocolate donoughts in the morning. He is VERY excited about being 11. We play Bird Fasteners tomorrow - they are undefeated, so we'll see. Cam is coming home with us after the game and we are going to Sweetwater so Scott can see Brody. Rusty is working for Scott from 7am til 7pm tomorrow. I am getting the boys 5lbs of crawfish each and renting a movie. Brody's party is next week, so tomorrow won't be the "big" day! We will be at Sweetwater all day Sunday, but Josh will be there, too. I know nobody else wants to know the skinny with me and mine, but they will have to suffer through it because I know YOU do! Maw Maw couldn't believe ya'll had something stolen already!! I don't know if she was more shocked over that or the fact that Daddy actually like something he ate there!! The card ya'll sent was very touching. We love ya'll very much!! Good night! love u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, mom and dad!! I am busy at work so writing you a little note!!! HA. I can't believe Dad isn't confused with the Geography and etc.( Like I would be)! I will be off Monday, Tuesday, and Wed. then work at the Oaks Thursday morning then off to Brody's b-day then rest at Mechelles for work at Riverside that night:( Who is Da vinci?? (Just kidding) I bet it was AMAZING!! Bekah and I hope you continue to have fun, we send our love!!! Don't forget to get me a souvenir!!!!!! Brett couldn't believe ya'll got stuff stolen on first day, he said Hey and asked about your hip!!! He said he's waiting to SKYPE with you :) HA!!

    Bye, Love ya'll

    ReplyDelete