Welcome to our Vacation Blog!!

We hope you enjoy our posts before, during and after our trip. A trip to Hungary has been a dream for many years. The closer it came to becoming a reality, the more we thought that we should include other countries. (See our itinerary) But the main purpose of our trip is to meet my new-found relatives in Rabapatona, Hungary, which is about one hour west of Budapest. I will remind everyone a few days before we leave so that you can "come along"! (If this is your first time on our blog, begin at the bottom and continue to our most recent post at the top.)



Countdown!!

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Salzburg to Vienna

The Griswolds have made it to Vienna! The train ride from Salzburg was pretty uneventful, except... Wayne hopped off the train at a stop, to smoke. After just a minute, the doors closed and wouldn't open. He was punching every button he could find without success. About 50 yards down the track, the train personnel were hanging out of the train yelling to him, “ON THE TRAIN, ON THE TRAIN!!!” Now he is in a panic!! He said, “I was banging on that S.O.B. so hard the whole side of the car probably has dents in it. I beat the shit out of that door!” Finally some traveler inside opened the door. He was white when he got back to our seat. I laughed til I cried!! After a minute, he said, “No money, no glasses. I would've been in a mess. I would've had to get a little bucket and dance on a street corner.” I told him if he ever got left, to wait there and I would get off at the next stop, and come back for him. If I get left, he should go to our destination, get off and wait for me. I'd take the next train and meet him there. He looked at me and said, “Hell, I don't know where I'm going!”

Lots of big farms between Salzburg and Vienna. Not much scenery other than that. Cold and light rain in Vienna. Pulled out our hooded raincoats, and walked to our hotel, which is about 4 blocks from the station. Very nice hotel. Got checked in and called to reconfirm our Vienna Boys Choir tickets for tomorrow night. They will pick us up at the hotel at 3 pm and take us to the Muzikverein, where the performance will be. So we have the clocks set for 6:30, will have breakfast at hotel (free), then walk and sightsee on our own. Hopefully it won't be raining. There is a Fleming Hotel down the street, so we're going to check that out.

There are 23 districts in Vienna. District 1 is encircled by the Ringstrasse, which follows the old town walls. The Ringstrasse is called by different names as you move around the “ring”. Our hotel is just outside the ring, in district 7. Most of what we will see is in district 1. We will cross the Burgring to see the Burggartens, State Opera House, Spanish Riding School (founded in 1572, it is the oldest and last Riding School in the world where classic dressage is still practiced, and is the home of the famous Lipizzaner horses.) These horses are black when born, then turn white when mature, St. Stephen's Cathedral (built in 1147 AD and is the heart of Vienna), and the Hofburg Palace (Vienna's Imperial Palace).

At some point, we are going to the Dorotheum, the world's largest pawnshop!! Supposedly, it is a shopper's paradise, and is so large people have gotten lost and have been roaming around it's rooms since the reign of Napoleon :0) Why didn't I bring Kate's leash?? :0)

More later. Miss everyone, especially the grandchildren! Wish all of you could be here. We are having so much fun!!

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad that ya'll are having a great time. Poor Mr. Wayne, I have laughed so hard. Tell him I said to quit smoking:) Stay safe, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you two (or maybe just one)are having a great time. Wayne have a Thomas Brau Beer for me. Get a long pipe to hang out the train window & don't get off any more. By the way my cable has been off all day. Thought you would like a little of home. Austria was one of our favorite countries, along with Switzerland.
    You guys have a great time & make many wonderful memories. Wish we could be there with you!
    Bill & Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ya'll.... Sounds like you two are having a great time!! I wish I could have seen dad freaking out and panicing when he thought that train was leaving him!!! Mom I can see you Laughing to the point you were crying!!!! I am sitting at Riverside bored out of my mind $$$$$. I worked at North oaks this morning then went to Brodys B-day party then continued my journey down the lonely streets of Franklinton to your house to take a well deserved nap before work at Riverside (night shift)!! We had a good night Wed. Matt C. joined Bekah and I as we ventured off to Houma La. We went to a bar off of Mainstreet in Houma, called the City club of Houma. It was a great show, we went to see AMOS LEE a singer songwriter from NYC. (Dad thats the guy you always say you like when you come to my house and it's playing in the kitchen, Bluesey soul!!!) The venue was great, a small place but that made it a more intimate show. He played his acoustic guitar and sang Awsome, his band was good also. That was my first trip to Houma and it won't be the last!! We all said we are making a trip back for a weekend and staying in a hotel? The bar was right by the courtyard in downtown Houma. The courtyard was beautiful. Big (Plantation style) oak trees everywhere with cement benches to sit on. The people that live there said you can sit in the courtyard all night and drink and relax? It was like someone took a part of New Orleans and placed it right in downtown Houma. The road was kinda like a fork that seperated the streets and there were old rustic vintage buildings (BARS) with balconys on them just like on Bourbon st. A really neat atmoshphere.. We left after the show and made it back to 42122 Red Maple st. We stayed up til 2:30 a.m. Needless to say we were all feeling it this moring!! But my day is almost over and sleep is awaiting me Friday!!! Ya'll keep having a good time!! We miss you!!
    Love Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't figure out how I got my Name on my post last time????? This is crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figured it out!! The Anonymous post is mine HA HA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg!!! That sounds as funny as the time he lit himself on fire at King Richard's!! I called Scott as soon as I read it this morning. Gotta go get ready for Allie grad pics and Brody's end of the year party!!! I needed a good laugh so THANKS DADDY!!!! Love ya'll!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that your typical "country come to town" with Wayne almost getting left - big time panic- I had a hearty laugh just reading your post - a big pawn shop - how many treasures can you bring home with you Jennifer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uncle Wayne does it again! At least he got on the train. Al said, thanks for the postcard but send directly to our home instead of the neighbors at 309 9th Avenue! He tracked it down! I'm glad you two are having fun! Take care!!
    Love,
    Al, Amy, and Kids

    ReplyDelete