Welcome to our Vacation Blog!!

We hope you enjoy our posts before, during and after our trip. A trip to Hungary has been a dream for many years. The closer it came to becoming a reality, the more we thought that we should include other countries. (See our itinerary) But the main purpose of our trip is to meet my new-found relatives in Rabapatona, Hungary, which is about one hour west of Budapest. I will remind everyone a few days before we leave so that you can "come along"! (If this is your first time on our blog, begin at the bottom and continue to our most recent post at the top.)



Countdown!!

Saturday, May 9, 2009

What a Wonderful Life...I mean DAY!!!

Buon Giorno! This day has just been awesome! We had light breakfast at the hotel (free:0)), then we started walking along Via Vittor Pisani, a beautiful but busy boulevard. We took the Republica Metro to the Duomo, 3rd largest Duomo in Europe and absolutely beautiful inside and out. They were having a Mother's Day celebration in the piazza. Instead of a cake walk, they had a flower walk, but only children could participate, and won potted flowers for their Mothers! The children were so excited, and the music was wonderful. After that we walked along Via Dante to the Castello Sforzesco...unbelievable castle at the old city walls of Milan. I even got to cool my feet in the fountain! Don't worry, I told no one I was from Franklinton. We saw the end of a beautiful wedding at the castle, also! We ate lunch at Cafe' Mercanti. I had Panini Vienna (Ham, Brie & Mozzarello) and Wayne had Panini Praga (Smoked Ham, Mushrooms & Mozzarello) both on "to die for" bread! Wayne loved it! Beautiful outdoor restaurante. We met our tour at 2:30 (7:30 LA time). Two highlights were LaScala Opera House and the Santa Maria Delle Grazie Church where we saw Da Vinci's "The Last Supper". I was under the impression that the painting had been restored except for a very small portion, but I asked and our guide reassured us that the only restoration was cleaning of the painting. Da Vinci painted it on a stucco type wall, not canvas, which deteriorates much much faster than canvas, so they are very particular about humidity...4 doors to enter, light, # of people per day, and only 15 minute viewing per group. The church was almost totally destroyed during a bombing in 1943, so it's a miracle the painting survived! Our guide was very, very good throughout the entire tour! She reminded me of Mary Burns. Wayne keeps saying what a good time he had today. In fact, he said, "It will be hard to top today." Can hardly wait for our next adventure in Switzerland! I am so glad that he obviously enjoyed Milan. He's even loving the food, and he didn't even seem to get nervous when we got lost TWICE on the metro!!! But, at least, no one "pocket picked" us today! At 2 AM (LA time) we will be boarding our 1st train to Luzern. If we get on the wrong train, he might begin to get a little nervous!



HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRODY!! Sorry we couldn't be there for your 11th B'day, but hope you had a great day!



Sandi and Mechelle, it was so-o-o good to read your comments! Grazie!! Keep them coming whenever you have time. All these months I've felt like I was talking to myself!! :0)



I hope all you Moms have a wonderful day tomorrow! Arrivederci!

I don't know why, but I am not able to upload my pics. It's something to do with internet connection. I hope when we get to Luzern I can upload.

2 comments:

  1. just reading some more about your adventures - and sound like you are becoming fluent in a foreign language or do you have one of those little books - love you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!! Not sure if it's still Sunday over there, but it is here. I love ya'll. Sounds like it's going great, so far! Daddy, I'm so glad you're having a good time. This is such a wonderful thing that you guys are getting to do. Most of us will talk about doing it, but never do it. Daddy, I know you don't want to keep a journal like Mom is doing, but maybe you could just write down your favorite thing from each day before you go to sleep. Just use Mom's journal. That would be neat for all of us to read when ya'll get back! Gotta go get allie tucked in now, so good nite! I miss and love ya'll lots!!!!

    ReplyDelete